Tuesday, November 23, 2010

New School

By Crissy Lewis

Walking into Oxford Hills Comprehensive High School on the first day as a junior made me nervous . Not only did I not know many people in the school but also I was now at a new school as a junior, the hardest year in a high school career. It all scared me because Oxford Hills is big.

It felt strange being in a new school because in the hallways there were so many people that I didn't know. It was a little overwhelming for me. I wasn’t used to that many people in a school, I was also used to seeing the same faces I knew everyday. I knew people were looking at me and wondering who I was too. Girls acted and talked differently. Unlike the girls at Edward Little that mostly talked about fashion, make-up, shopping, and going on expensive vacations, girls at Oxford talked about four-wheeling, hunting, and camping. I thought it was funny because I felt like I was from the city. It's weird how making a small move from another school not that far away you see such a differences in the hobbies people have. Cliques don't seem to be as common and rigid either here, another nice surprise. You are not categorized into a group because of who you are, how much money your parents make, whether you play a sport or not, and based on the name brand clothing you wear. People seemed to be liked here based on more genuine reasons. That's one thing I believe should be true in every high school. People should feel comfortable. Luckily, at Oxford Hills I didn't have to worry about being judged as the “new kid”.


Not only having a bigger school but having a fit library and air conditioning made me excited for the year. I knew that it would be more comfortable. It still makes me nervous that I came to a new school and environment as a junior, but walking through the halls in this high school, I realize I enjoy being here. I am already making new friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment