Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Differences from a new school

Walking into Oxford Hills Comprehensive High School as a junior made me nervous on the first day. Not only did I not know many people in the school but I was arriving to a new school in my hardest year in my high school career, and this scared me because Oxford Hills is big.

 

One big difference I first noticed was how the girls acted and talked. Unlike the girls at Edward Little that mostly talked about fashion, make-up, shopping, and going on expensive vacations, girls at Oxford talked about four-wheeling, hunting, and camping. The total opposite, but I liked it. When I heard this I felt like I was from the city. It's weird how making a small move from another school not that far away you see such a differences in the hobbies people have. Cliques don't seem to be as common and rigid either here, another nice surprise. You are not catorigized into a group because of who you are, how much money your parents make, whether you play a sport or not, and based on the name brand clothing you wear. People seemed to be liked here based on more genuine reasons. That's one thing I believe should be in every high school. People should feel comfortable and at Oxford Hills you don't have to worry about being judged if you are the “new kid”.

 

Not only is the school so much bigger than Edward Little, but it's air conditioned. That was a big plus for me when I got here. I didn't have to worry about being uncomfortable in the classroom on hot days and I could concentrate on my work and not sweating. The Library in the school has the perfect, friendly atmosphere. It's big, open, and students work, get help, read, and use the computers that are available to them. This is so much more different than Edward Little where there was so little room in the library and not that many students went and used the library.

 

As I walk through the halls in this high school I realize and know that I like it here and I know that this is the place for me to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment